Sharks had taken the lead in the ninth minute

A spirited fight by Nzoia Sugar in the second half saw the Bungoma based club rally from a goal down and beat Kariobangi Sharks 3-1 at Utalii grounds on Wednesday.

Nzoia broke for the fifteen-minute long half time breather trailing 1-0 but their stellar show in the second half bore three goals that annihilated Sharks.

Following the win, the sugarmen extend their stay at the top of the Football Kenya Federation Premier League (FKFPL) table with 31 points.

Sharks head coach William Muluya regretted that his defence once again let the team down.

Nzoia are not on the top by fluke.They have demonstrated that they can have the play and score goals. It is unfortunate that we let in two goals in two minutes,” he said.

His Nzoia counterpart Salim Babu was over the moon after watching his charges rally from a goal down and most importantly l, return to winning ways.

The boys fought hard. The plan was to deny the opponent spaces and I am happy it worked well,” he said.

The two teams were a joy to watch from the time centre referee Josephine Wanjiku blasted the first whistle as their short and quick passes as well as terrific runs by individual players enlivened the encounter. 

There was a sense of urgency to break the deadlock from either side given the rich supply of ammunition by the creative midfielders who turned the centre of the pitch a battle zone. 

Sharks took the lead in the ninth minute through Keith Imbali whose low drive from the box beat the stretching Humphrey Katasi. Imbali who was unmarked in the box pulled the trigger after Mathew Kibiwott who was lively from onset squared the ball to his path. 

Despite conceding early, Nzoia did not panic as they stuck to their usual style of play, but breaching the Sharks wall proved difficult. The half time pep talk delivered by Nzoia boss Salim Babu bore fruit five minutes after restart as Joseph Mwangi leveled matters. 

The playmaker wittingly lobbed the ball past Sharks custodian John Otieno after Kevin Juma found him with an equally superb long pass that caught the defence napping. 

Two minutes after finding the back of the net, Mwangi sealed his brace after poking home the ball from close range with Yasin Sije claiming the assist. The two quick goals prompted Sharks to thrown in fresh legs as Nzoia had taken full control of the proceedings and running amok in the area. 

The Sharks midfield stabilized for a while when the substitutes came in but the team lacked the punch to poke holes in the Nzoia defence Sharks hopes of restoring parity suffered a blow in the 75th minute as Timothy Ekhavi turned the ball into his net to gift Nzoia the third goal. 

The central defender failed to make clean contact with a cross delivered by Kevin Maliachi with the ball ricocheting his right leg enroute to the net. 

Kariobangi Sharks

Starting XI: John Otieno, Dan Guya (Biron Otieno 76), Timothy Ekhavi, Collins Obanda, Julius Masaba, Fortune Omoto, Keith Imbali, Geoffrey Onyango, Mathew Kibiwott (Shariff Musa 60), Tyson Otieno (IsaacWasambo 86), Paul Odhiambo (Moses Shikanda 60) 

Unused substitutes: Gedion Ogweno, Leon Otieno, Kevin Musamali

Nzoia Sugar 

Starting XI: Humphrey Katasi, Emmanuel Esekon, Vincent Mahiga, Kevin Juma, Kevin Maliachi, Randy Bakari, Boniface Munyendo, Hassan Beja (Stephen Otieno 81), Joseph Mwangi, Felicien Okanda(Emoni Tanui 81) , Yasin Sije

Unused substitutes: Benson Mangala, Harun Thomas, Timothy Wanyanga, Ian Simiyu, Leonard Kasembeli, Prince Ayieko

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.